Surfers’ Environmental Alliance (SEA) is committed to the preservation and protection of the environmental and cultural elements that are inherent to the sport of surfing. Our goals are achieved through grassroots efforts, community involvement, education and humanitarian efforts. We engage in projects that strive to conserve the quality of our marine environment, preserve or enhance surf breaks, protect beach access rights, and safeguard the coastal surf zone from unnecessary development.
We are proud to announce our annual scholarship opportunity. Please read the following application guidelines and complete the application.
|We are now accepting applications for the 2016-17 academic years.
Please follow these instructions:
1. Carefully read the eligibility guidelines provided below before submitting your application and supporting documents.
2. Complete the Scholarship Essay Submission section in its entirety.
ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES:1. High School students must be entering a 2 or 4 year college or university, currently enrolled and returning college and graduate students may also apply. 2. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale and must enroll full-time for the Fall 2015 semester. 3. Applicants must be citizens of the United States.4. To be eligible for the traditional SEA Scholarship applicants’ major must focus on the Environmental Studies/Sciences. To be eligible for the Benjamin J. Keiser Memorial Scholarship applicants Major must focus on Coastal Engineering. The introduction of your essay must identify the scholarship you are applying for.
5. To be eligible for this award, you must answer both of the following two essay questions: in under 1000 words, “Why is keeping the ocean pollution free, and accessible to beachgoers important to you?” and in under 500 words, describe your career plans, community activism, and personal ambitions.
|Primary considerations for awards are: 1. SCHOLARSHIP. Submit your essays and application outlining your aspirations and community involvement. SEA is offering two separate scholarship categories with a possibility of multiple recipients for each.
A. Envirnmental Studies Scholarship (max award $3,500 with $7,000 available).
B. The Benjamin J. Keiser Memorial Coastal Engineering Scholarship (with $3,500 available).
2. EXCELLENCE. Official academic transcripts are required and must reflect a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale. Transcript must include grades through the second semester of the 2014-2015 high school academic year or the first semester of the Fall 2014 academic year for college/graduate students.
Transcript should be sent to;
Surfers’ Environmental Alliance
3. ACTIVISM. One letter of recommendation is required from a community service organization with which the applicant has been actively involved.
Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by April 30, 2016.
Applicants will be notified of the Scholarship Committee’s decision in late June 2016. Awards are granted for one year only.